Powered by OrdaSoft!
Font Size

Council enforces the Food Act 1984 and the Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FZANZ). This legislation covers the preparation and sale of food to members of the public.

Any person who prepares or sells food to the public must be registered with the Council in which they are located or in the case of a food vehicle, where the food vehicle is garaged.

The sale of food can be either by a food business or a community group.

A food premises is any premises where food is prepared and sold and must comply with the standard for food premises and equipment in the Food Standards Code.

Food businesses are classified into four classifications based on the risk to food safety for the activities being undertaken.

These Classifications are:
Class 1: Food Premises that handle unpackaged high risk foods for sale to vulnerable persons. For example, hospitals, child care centres and aged care services.

Class 2: Food premises that handle unpackaged high risk foods for sale to members of the public. For example: Café, Restaurant, food vehicles.

Class 3: Food Premises that handle unpackaged low risk foods and pre-packaged high risk foods requiring refrigeration. For Example, Service stations, warehouses and distributors.

Class 4: Food Premises that handle pre-packaged low risk foods or conduct food handling activities exempt by the Department of Health. For example: packaged alcohol, packaged chips and confectionery.

Food handling activities that have been deemed to be Class 4 are:

      • Whole uncut fruit and vegetables
      • Wine tastings
      • Packaged cakes without cream
      • Low risk food including cut fruit at a sessional kindergarten or child care
      • Simple sausage sizzle where the sausages are cooked and served immediately and only serving sausages, bread, onions and sauce. Hamburgers and other high risk food are not included. 

Premises that are Class 1, 2 or 3 must be registered with Council, however Class 4 do not require registration but must notify Council that they are selling food.

Community Group

A community group is defined as a not for profit organisation or persons undertaking a food handling activity solely for the purpose of raising funds for charitable purposes or for a not for profit organisation where the event is:

  • no longer than 2 consecutive days; and
  • the majority of food handlers are volunteers

Community groups can be classified as either Class 2, 3 or 4, however the definitions of these classifications differ slightly from those for Food Businesses.

  • Class 2 Community Group: A community group who handle high risk foods that are cooked/prepared, stored hot or cold, reheated, then served. Example of this would be a community BBQ where food is cooked and stored in an oven then served.
  • Class 3 Community Group: A community group who handle high risk foods that is cooked/prepared and served immediately. Example of this would be a community group who prepare sandwiches on demand that are prepared and sold immediately.
  • Class 4 Community Group: A community group who only handle low risk foods or who are selling cakes without cream or a simple sausage sizzle.

For a detailed list of foods that can be handled in each class click here.


    If your food business or Community group operate both inside and outside of Horsham Rural City council then you can register your premises for a state wide registration.

This registration allows you to register once with your principal council and then operate in multiple council areas without the need for obtaining a separate registration.

Streatrader is the Department of Health and Human Services's online database used to manage state wide registrations and allows you to easily lodge your Statement of Trade with other Councils.

Council also manages all Class 4 notifiations through Streatrader. 

If you are wanting to register a Class 4 Community Group please see the attached Guide.

300 x 100 web button






For more information on Streatrader

Single Food Permits

If you only conduct food handling activities once or twice a year within Horsham Rural City Council you can obtain a single event permit. This permit applies to Class 2 and 3 activities only.

A single event notification is required for Class 4 food handling activities.

Download a permit form and return it to Council to apply for a single event permit.

Class 2-3 Single food permit form

Fees apply for registration of a Class 1, 2 or 3 food business and community groups.

Food Safety Program

Under the Food Act 1984, a Food Safety Program for a food premises is a written document that identifies the potential hazards that may occur during the preparation of food. It includes the standard procedures, cleaning program, pest control program, and hygiene standards which are followed by your business to minimise potential food safety risks.Class 1 and Class 2 food premises are required to maintain a food safety program appropriate to their food business activities.

The Department of Health Template is a generic template that can be applied to may types of premises click here to download a copy.
Proprietors of a Class 3 business are only required to keep minimum records.
Class 2 and 3 community groups must have onsite a copy of the Class 2 or Class 3 Community Group Templates.
Class 4 premises are exempt from requiring a food safety program or minimum records

Food Safety Supervisor

A food safety supervisor is someone who:

  • knows how to recognise, prevent and alleviate food handling hazards at your premises;
  • has a Statement of Attainment that shows the required food safety competencies from a Registered Training Organisation (RTO);
  • has the ability and authority to supervise other people handling food at the premises and ensure that food handling is done safely.

Class 1 & 2 food businesses must nominate a food safety supervisor for their food business. This person must have the appropriate qualifications to be nominated and are responsible for ensuring that all staff are aware of food safety risks.

Class 3 food premises are not required to have a Food Safety Supervisor as are Class 3 community groups.

Class 2 community groups are not required to have a food safety supervisor if the event runs for less that 2 consecutive days. If the event runs longer a Food Safety Supervisor will need to be nominated.

All food business owners in Victoria must ensure their staff have adequate skills and knowledge to safely handle food. 

The Department of Health offer a free online food handlers training program so that staff can gain the level of knowledge expected of a food handler.

Local providers of Food safety Supervisor training in our municipality:

Talking Food Newsletter

To access the latest version of the Talking Food Newsletter Click Here

Managing Food Waste and Complying with the Law

Food waste containing meat, other animal by-products, some dairy products and any food that has come in contact with these prohibited foods must not be fed to pigs. These foods contain viruses that cause diseases in animals, such as foot-and-mouth disease. These viruses are not destroyed by chilling, freezing, curing or cooking.

Some Examples of food that must not be provided to farmers includes:

  • vegetables, rice, pasta and other food that has been in direct contact with meat or meat products
  • pizza bun rolls, meat pies
  • bacon and cheese rolls, salad rolls containing meat
  • caesar salad (because it contains bacon pieces)
  • Steak, hamburgers, sausages, butchers's shop waste
  • milk products such as yoghurt, butter and cheese

Businesses that prepare and sell food, such as restaurants, bakeries, hotels, fast food outlets and hospitals, have a responsiblity to dispose food waste appropriately. Prohibited food waste should be placed in an appropriate garbage bin for collection by the Council or a commercial waste service for disposal in landfill or composting at an appropriate recycling facility.

illegal activities include:

  • feeding prohibited food waste to pigs
  • supplying prohibited food waste to feed pigs
  • collecting prohibited food waste from food premises to provide to a piggery

More information on these restrictions, including translated factsheets in Arabic, Mandarin and Vietnamese, is avaliable from the Department of Environment and Primary Industries

Or see the Swill Feeding Fact Sheet.

New food Business and Transfers

Due to legislation Council's Environmental Health Officer must inspect a food premises upon opening and when transferring ownership.

Please contact Council's Environmental Health Officer if you wish to open a new food business.

If you are purchasing an existing food business, Council will require a written request for a transfer inspection.

A Transfer Form will also need to be completed, please click here to obtain a copy of this form.

Fees for new food premises and to transfer can be found here.

Back to top